Get With The Program
Ever since we started in 2013, we naturally embraced the concept of remote working. Working with talent in different time zones & continents to being on-site with clients the need to be mobile & flexible has been part of our culture. Here are the things we’ve learned;
- Even though you are remote – you still need a dedicated space to establish a routine (boundaries).
- Have the right equipment – a laptop and an internet connection are all you really need.
- Dress like you would for work (PJ’s and sweats will create the wrong environment – I always say, if something comes up and I have to go somewhere, I should be ready to go)
- Schedule breaks – you still need to get away and stretch.
- Avoid background noise and distractions (TV, music) if you focus, you’ll get things done faster.
- Use communication tools (Synchronous – for chat, meetings and calls; Skype/Slack, Chime. Asynchronous – for tasks and schedules; Basecamp, Asana). Choose specific ones and stick to them.
- Clearly define a set of rules/requirements according to the nature of the meeting(s).
- Have an Agenda and stick to the timing.
- Summarize and distribute (by end of day or sooner)
- Every week, at fixed intervals, each team meets on a call and explains what they’ve worked on this week and what they are working on next.
- Oh and eat well… thinking requires energy (feed the brain)